Tuckamore!!


 Ever since arriving at Gros Morne, I have noticed the word, "tuckamore" occurring fairly often. For example, I bought some coffee from the Gros Morne Coffee Roasters: Tuckamore Blend. But what is tuckamore?

This fun little website  features a video of Michael Burzynski explaining tuckamore, spruce trees that are sculpted by the wind. Tuckamore are unique to Newfoundland and Labrador and I have seen a lot of it since arriving here. Tuckamore is often used as a metaphor for resilience because it survives in conditions that would kill most species. 

I would have loved playing in the tuckamore when I was a kid. Actually, I'd probably enjoy finding a nice little hideaway in the thick of it today!


When I walked the Eastern Point Trail, I had the opportunity to photograph some tuckamore:








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts